Monday, June 10, 2013

Homemade Soft Pretzels



Pretzels! 
A couple years ago my mom bought me a bread machine for a few bucks from a rummage sale. It sat in my pantry for about a year or so until one day I decided to dust it off. Since last year I have been using it almost weekly. I have no idea why it took me so long. It's an incredibly easy and cheap way to make breads, doughs, pasta and you can even make jam in it! 

One of my favorite things to make, though, are these pretzels. The bread machine does most of the work for me. I toss all of my ingredients in, liquid on the bottom, yeast on top. It takes about an hour and a half for the dough to form and rise. After it's done, I take them out, shape them into little snakes, make them into pretzel form, toss on an egg wash to make the outside crispy and brown, salt and bake at 450 for about 12 minutes. Bam! 

These are great while they are still warm out of the oven, but I really like that they remain really good even after storing them. I haven't yet, but I'm considering freezing these in some ziploc bags. When we want one, but don't want to wait a couple hours for them, grab one, pop it in the microwave and there you go. 


Fairly quick, super easy, cheap and more importantly, yummy!





1 comment: