Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A $1 Flea Market Transformation

     I've always loved rummage sales (garage sale, yard sale, whatever you want to call it), flea markets, thrift store, Goodwill, etc. In other words, I like a good deal. It's like a treasure hunt!

    I've been in search of a mirror with a raised edge for a while. I'm not sure if there is a proper name for them, but I'll stick with that. Yesterday, while visiting the local flea market, I found one for $1.00. It wasn't in the best shape, but I'm always looking for a quick and easy project. If it turned out badly, I would only be out a buck, right?


  
   It wasn't very pretty. The person who painted it white, didn't do a great job at it. I decided I'd take off the paint with some acetone and see what was hiding underneath. To my surprise, it was a gorgeous gold color. After removing the paint, I came to realize why it was painted to begin with. The gold was pretty in some spots, but faded in others. Boo.

   I had remembered I had some gorgeous turquoise-ish spray paint that I used on this picture frame:




     It took a while to get all of the white paint off, especially in the little cracks. I realized that it didn't matter much anyway, since it was going to be painted over. I didn't take any photos of the painting process simply because I am messy and accident prone. Here are the before and afters:







 It could probably use another coat of paint,
but for now I'm pretty happy with it. :)

1 comment: